Marv\'s Blog

Flash Player 8 Released, or Macromedia Don’t Know What They’re Talking About | September 16, 2005

Macromedia don’t know what they’re talking about.

This post is a copy of the comment I made on .

Here is something interesting.

I upgraded my copy of Flash for Firefox (didn’t bother to upgrade IE as I don’t use that pile of crap for much any more) after reading this post via Thunderbird this morning. Note that I didn’t read the comments. Silly me.

I went to play <no>circles</no> just a few moments ago, and experienced the same problem everyone else is having.

First of all I came here, read the comments and gave myself the proverbial smack on the forehead for not reading the comments first.

Then I went to another game I play regularly that requires Flash- Funeral Quest. That didn’t work.

Then I went to my Flash Video folder on my hard drive, and played a copy of Neurotically Yours. Namely episode 84 Umentionable Auction. It played through to the end perfectly fine as expected. The right click menu works perfectly fine as well.

I then went and visited the site and click through to episode 84. No dice.

Next, I saved the entire page via Firefox to my hard disk, and attempted to play. No visuals. However, the familiar thunder clap was heard- used by J.I. Mathers to draw attention to the fact that the episode has loaded. Finally, I opened up the flash file that was downloaded along with the saved page. That also played perfectly fine. It is worth noting at this point that the html pointed to the remote version of the flash file, not the local version and that the adblock code was already present in the downloaded html page.

Finally, I created a modified version of the downloaded html page. The modification I speak of is similar to the Flash Satay method , minus the preloading flash file. It worked perfectly fine as expcted.

The Flash Satay version of the page in Firefox using Flash 8.0 r22 worked exactly the same as the unmodified page in IE using Flash 7 (not sure of the exact version).

It appears that the extra non-standard crap introduced by Macromedia doesn’t like the interaction of the AdBlock extension. After reading a comment I found on Google I set the AdBlock extension to not attach attach the AdBlock tab to <object> tags. According to the FAQ for the public beta- via Google Cache, it appears that Macromedia were telling people to uninstall the extension entirely, instead of just disabling the option on <object> tags. Conspiracy to stop people from blocking flash adverts perhaps ?

As my example shows, the AdBlock extension does indeed interfere with Flash content. But only if the <object> tag uses non-standard attributes and other crap.. When flash content is viewed using the Flash Satay method, then everything works perfectly fine. Macromedia don’t know what they’re talking about.

Tags:
Advertisements

Posted in Uncategorized

Leave a Comment »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

    The Buttons

    • Get Firefox!
    • Get Thunderbird!
    • No Software Patents
    • Questionable Content
    • Wapsi Square
    • XFN Friendly

    My del.icio.us feed

    RSS Unknown Feed

    • An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.

    RSS Unknown Feed

    • An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.

    RSS Unknown Feed

    • An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.

    RSS Unknown Feed

    • An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
%d bloggers like this: